The March auction at Mecum Kansas City provided some interesting fodder for commentary. I’ll concentrate on the at least fairly stock 1980s cars and trucks that sold (remember that this is not a no reserve auction—a black 1986 Buick Grand National coupe with a black/gray interior and 77,000 miles was a no sale bid up to $23,000) and add some of my opinions.
- 1985 black Buick Grand National coupe with a black/gray interior and a 1971 Oldsmobile 350 engine—$5,000 hammer price.
- 1984 white Toyota Celica Supra coupe with a brown interior—$5,500 for what was probably the most interesting eighties vehicle in this auction.
- 1984 teal Jeep CJ-7 SUV with a black interior—$8,000
- 1988 gray Jeep Cherokee Laredo SUV with a red interior—$6,000
- 1981 cotillion white Cadillac Coupe DeVille coupe (natch!) with a dark carmine interior and 6,600 miles—$6,000 for this good looking car.
- 1989 silver/red two-tone Chevrolet Suburban 3/4 ton SUV with a gray interior and the fuel injected 454 engine—$7,000
- 1987 red Pontiac Firebird Trans Am coupe with a red interior and 32,000 miles—$10,500
- 1984 black/silver two-tone Buick Regal T-Type coupe with a gray interior and the WH1 Designer Package—$12,500
- 1989 red Pontiac Firebird Formula coupe with a black interior and 41,000 miles—$10,000
- 1987 white Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe with a burgundy interior and t-tops—$12,000 for one the last of the NASCAR homologation specials.
- 1981 orange Jeep CJ-5 SUV with a tan interior—at $22,000, the highest eighties vehicle sale of the sale and the first vehicle in this auction to meet my criteria for serious 1980s collectability of original cars or trucks: selling for equal to or above its original base list price. I’ll mark these vehicles in bold green.
- 1982 light bronze metallic/almond two-tone GMC High Sierra pickup truck with a tan interior—$13,000
- 1985 canyon red Ford Bronco II custom SUV with a red interior, 42,000 miles, and a very non-standard 302 cubic inch V8 engine—$10,000
1981 silver Chevrolet Corvette coupe with a red interior—$8,0001980 black GMC C1500 custom pickup truck with a gray interior—$11,000
1982 black Dodge Ramcharger SUV
- with a red interior and 61,000 miles—$15,0001982 blue Chevrolet Corvette custom coupe with a black interior and 77,000 miles—$20,000
- 1989 red Chevrolet Corvette coupe with a black interior and 21,000 miles—$13,000
- 1980 white Pontiac Firebird Turbo Trans Am Pace Car coupe with an oyster interior and 34,000 miles—$14,000
- 1981 blue Pontiac Firebird Trans Am coupe with a blue interior and 22,000 miles—at $16,500, the highest eighties vehicle sale of Saturday. Hagerty’s valuation tools see this as between #2 and #3 money.
Late second-generation Trans Ams and SUVs were fairly strong, but Mecum Kansas City generally lived to its bargain reputation. What do you think of these results?