As always, the January auction at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale provided much interesting fodder for commentary. I’ll concentrate on the 1980s cars (and a few trucks) that sold and add some of my opinions.
- 1989 white Ford Econoline box van with a red and black interior and 170,000—$3,800 hammer price marks an ignominious beginning for eighties vehicles at this auction.
- 1981 ivory Mercedes-Benz 280CE coupe with a palomino interior—$6,500
- 1981 chiffon white Porsche 928 coupe with a brown interior—$5,000
- 1986 silver Maserati Spyder Bi-Turbo convertible with a beige interior—$7,200
- 1981 pearl gray/dove gray two-tone Citroen 2CV Roll-Top sedan with gray interior—$16,500 makes this the first vehicle in this auction to meet my criteria for serious 1980s collectability of original cars or trucks: selling for equal to or above its original base list price. I’ll mark these vehicles in bold green.
- 1981 stainless steel Delorean DMC-12 coupe with a gray interior and 13,000 miles—$27,000 makes this the highest eighties vehicle sale of Tuesday.
- 1984 silver/orange two-tone Chevrolet C10 custom pickup truck with a black interior—$16,000
- 1989 flint gray/silver blue two-tone Chevrolet K5 Blazer SUV with a blue interior—$13,000
- 1988 signal red BMW 635 CSi with a tan interior and a salvage title in its past—$6,500
- 1981 charcoal metallic GMC Sierra Classic pickup truck with a black interior—$7,000
- 1981 classic white Chevrolet Corvette coupe with a cinnabar interior and 43,000 miles—$17,500
- 1985 signal red Mercedes-Benz 380SL convertible with a parchment interior and 59,000 miles—$17,000
- 1982 tan Toyota 4×4 SR5 pickup truck with a tan interior—$22,000
- 1986 burgundy Mercedes-Benz 560SL convertible with a gray interior—$8,200
- 1987 sinister black Buick Grand National coupe with a black and gray interior—$23,000
- 1980 dark claret Chevrolet Corvette coupe with a claret interior and 24,000 miles—$18,000
- 1989 gray Mercedes-Benz 560SL convertible with a gray interior and 21,000 miles—$33,000
- 1984 oxford white Ford Mustang GT 350 convertible with a canyon red interior and 101 miles—$65,000
- 1986 black Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck with a black interior and 1,200 miles—$24,000
- 1989 gold Corsair convertible with a tan interior—$27,000 for this “neo-classic”
- 1981 stainless steel Delorean DMC-12 coupe with a gray interior and 7,700 miles—$58,000
- 1980 black Pontiac Firebird Trans Am coupe with a tan interior and 750 miles—a rather stunning $100,000.
- 1984 white Porsche 935 custom coupe with a tan interior—$100,000
- 1987 red Ford Mustang GT hatchback with a red interior—$5,000. Why bring this car to auction?
- 1985 white Toyota FJ-60 custom SUV with a gray interior and a Chevrolet V8—$20,500
- 1980 white Chevrolet Corvette coupe with a red interior, an L82 engine, and 15,000 miles—$19,500
- 1981 gold Mercedes-Benz 380SLC coupe with a tan interior—$6,000
- 1985 black AMC Jeep CJ-7 Scrambler custom pickup truck with a black and gray interior—$18,000
- 1989 dark blue Lotus Esprit Turbo SE coupe with a beige interior—$15,000
- 1985 white Rolls-Royce Silver Spur sedan with an aegean blue interior—$26,500
- 1989 charcoal with woodgrain Jeep Grand Wagoneer SUV with a tan interior—$17,000
- 1980 black/yellow two-tone AMC Jeep CJ-5 very custom SUV with a black and yellow interior—$38,000
- 1985 bright red Porsche 911 Carrera coupe with a black interior and 74,000 miles—$33,500
- 1988 british racing green Rolls-Royce Corniche II convertible with a tan interior and 68,000 miles—$58,000
- 1986 red Chevrolet Corvette convertible with a red interior, the 4+3 manual transmission, and 1,200 miles—$25,000
- 1984 silver Mercedes-Benz 300D seven passenger limousine with a blue interior—$17,000
- 1982 grand prix white Porsche 911 SC coupe with a brown interior and 98,000 miles—$30,000
- 1986 gray Land Rover Defender custom pickup truck with a black interior—$94,000
- 1987 black Buick Grand National GNX with a gray and black interior and 294 miles—$115,000
- 1989 black Porsche 911 Speedster convertible with a black interior and 12,600 miles—$165,000
- 1983 guards red Porsche 930 Turbo with a black interior and 33,000 miles—$85,000
- 1982 white Chevrolet Corvette coupe with a red interior—$13,000
- 1988 pearl white Lotus Esprit Turbo Anniversary Edition coupe with a blue interior—$18,000
Looks like a lot of Mercedes-Benz SLs, Porsches, and SUVs. What do you think of this year’s results?