Mecum’s September auction in Dallas included a decent amount of cars from the 1980s. As always, I’ll concentrate on the cars and trucks that actually sold (remember that this is not a no reserve auction—a red 1985 Lamborghini Countach 5000S coupe with a black interior was a no sale bid up to $400,000) and add some of my opinions. Where I have covered the specific year and model of a car in this blog, I link to it.
- 1984 red Pontiac Fiero very custom coupe with a blown 454 V8—$10,000 hammer price.
- 1986 blue Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer Edition SUV with a tan interior—$5,750
- 1981 white Pontiac Firebird Formula custom convertible with a blue interior—$8,500 for this strange-looking conversion.
- 1987 red GMC mild custom pickup truck with a black interior—$12,000
- 1989 white Cadillac Brougham sedan with a red interior—an ouch! at $5,300.
- 1989 black Jeep Wrangler SUV with a five-speed manual transmission and a gray interior—$5,500
- 1981 black Chevrolet Camaro Z28 mild custom coupe with a red interior—$13,000
- 1983 gold Mercedes-Benz 380SL convertible with a tan interior—$10,000
- 1985 white Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS mild custom coupe with a gray interior—$10,000
- 1986 white Mercedes-Benz 560SL convertible with a burgundy interior and 45,000 miles—$16,500
- 1982 red Chevrolet Corvette coupe with a red interior—$10,000
- 1988 white Chevrolet Corvette convertible with a red interior and 20,000 miles—$13,500
- 1984 white Dodge Prospector pickup truck with a gray interior and 90,000 miles—$10,500
- 1986 black Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck with a red interior and 53,000 miles—$17,000
- 1986 silver/black two-tone Chevrolet Corvette Malcolm Konner coupe with a gray interior, 4+3 manual transmission, and 40,000 miles—$10,000
- 1986 red Chevrolet K10 custom pickup truck with a black interior—$12,000
- 1981 black Pontiac Firebird Trans Am coupe with a black interior—$18,000
- 1985 silver/white two-tone Toyota Land Cruiser mild custom SUV with a gray interior and 91,000 miles—$18,500
- 1981 white Chevrolet Camaro Z28 custom coupe with a black interior—$14,500
- 1989 white GMC 1500 mild custom pickup truck with a blue interior—$4,000
- 1985 white Jeep CJ-7 custom SUV with a gray interior—$7,500
- 1982 white Porsche 911sc coupe with a tan interior and 98,000 miles—$32,000
- 1985 black Chevrolet C10 mild custom pickup truck with a gray interior—$21,500
- 1989 silver Jeep CJ-7 custom SUV with a silver interior—$21,000
- 1985 black Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS custom coupe with a maroon interior—$16,000
- 1986 black Buick Grand National custom coupe with a gray interior—$90,000
- 1987 black Buick Grand National coupe with a gray interior—$30,000 means that this is the first vehicle in this auction to meet my criteria for serious 1980s collectability of original cars or trucks: selling for equal to or above its original base list price. I’ll mark these vehicles in bold green.
- 1988 yellow Ferrari Testarossa coupe with a black interior and 7,900 miles—at $144,000, the highest eighties vehicle sale of the auction.
- 1985 silver/black two-tone Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck with a gray interior and 5,900 miles—$34,500
- 1981 beige Toyota BJ-43 Land Cruiser SUV with a beige interior—$34,000
What do you think of this auction’s results?