This year’s Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas auction included a good number of interesting vehicles. As usual, I’ll concentrate on the 1980s cars (and some trucks) that sold and add some of my opinions. Where I have covered the specific year and model of a car in this blog, I link to it.
- 1984 maroon Buick Riviera coupe with 36,000 miles—at a $30,000 hammer price the first eighties vehicle sold in this auction is also the first eighties vehicle to meet my criteria for serious 1980s collectability of original cars or trucks: selling for equal to or above its original base list price. I’ll mark these vehicles in bold green. This was also the highest eighties car or truck sale of the auction.
- 1989 white Cadillac Allanté convertible with 68,000 miles—an ouch! at $5,000.
- 1986 silver Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 coupe—$8,500 for this acquired taste
- 1981 tan Toyota pickup truck with 61,000 miles—$7,000
- 1984 white Ford Mustang GT-350 convertible—$6,000
- 1988 white/gray two-tone Pontiac Firebird Formula with 8,000 miles—$12,000
- 1988 white Chevrolet Corvette coupe with 69,000 miles—$8,200
- 1981 tan/brown two-tone Chevrolet Corvette coupe—$8,500
- 1988 red Cadillac Allanté convertible with 31,000 miles—$9,000. Red plus half the miles evidently equals $4,000.
- 1989 white Pontiac 20th Anniversary Turbo Firebird Trans Am coupe—$17,500 is between #3 and $4 money, according to Hagerty’s valuation tools.
- 1985 white Chevrolet C-10 custom pickup truck—$18,500
- 1989 red Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z-28 very custom coupe—$21,500
- 1984 gray/white two-tone GMC Sierra 1500 custom pickup truck—$18,000
- 1981 red/orange two-tone Jeep Scrambler custom pickup truck—$20,000
- 1981 silver DeLorean DMC-12 coupe — $20,000
- 1985 Chestnut Metallic Rolls-Royce Silver Spur sedan—$15,500
- 1981 red Porsche 911 Carrera coupe with 31,000 miles—$29,000
- 1987 black Buick Grand National coupe with 33,000 miles—$22,500
- 1986 red Ferrari Mondial 3.2 convertible with 26,000 miles—$24,000
- 1986 black Buick LeSabre Grand National coupe with 17,000 miles—$25,000 for this rare car.
- 1981 silver DeLorean DMC-12 coupe with 4,000 miles—$35,500
- 1980 white Pontiac Firebird Turbo Trans Am Pace Car coupe with 234 miles—at $50,000, the highest eighties car or truck sale of the auction.
- 1987 black Buick Grand National coupe—$21,000
- 1988 brown Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II sedan with 50,000 miles—$10,000. It is the wrong color, of course, but will these cars ever recover?
- 1986 tan/brown two-tone Rolls-Royce or Bentley sedan (not at all clear from the description, but the grill is a Bentley’s)—$7,000
Prices for all cars didn’t seem very strong at this auction—or for that matter at Reno Tahoe, but some eighties cars and trucks did okay. What do you think of this year’s results?